News & Insights

Expert analysis on specialty insurance and an inside look at Argo.

Insurance Designations That Can Advance Your Career

Explore the professional designations that help early-career producers enhance their expertise and accelerate their careers.

Business woman walking, holding a padfolio and looking at her smartphone.

Professional insurance designations indicate a level of education and excellence in your role. Obtaining a designation can enhance your expertise, promote your qualifications to others and help you stand out in a high-demand market. But identifying which designation is right for you right now may not be apparent.

“It’s important to understand what you want to do with your career,” says Michael Platt, Business Operations Analyst for Argo Group.

He researched insurance designations at length before deciding which ones were best for him as an early-career professional. He leveraged downtime during the pandemic to acquire the six he now holds:

  • Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
  • Associate in Risk Management (ARM)
  • Associate in Surplus Lines Insurance (ASLI)
  • Associate in Reinsurance (ARe)
  • Associate in Insurance Data Analytics (AIDA)
  • Associate in Insurance (AINS)

Michael suggests getting at least one certification as early in your career as possible before your responsibilities increase and personal obligations intervene. The following designations are his recommended starting points for new insurance professionals.

Three designations for new brokers

Associate in Insurance (AINS)

Early-career producers can show their mastery of insurance basics in as little as three months with the Associate in Insurance (AINS) designation. This is a quick win for professionals who want to build confidence and increase credibility.

Associate in Risk Management (ARM)

The Associate in Risk Management (ARM) designation provides an introductory but holistic understanding of assessing and treating risk. Coursework can be completed in nine to 12 months.

Statistics published on

Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)

This is perhaps the most well-known and respected designation in risk and insurance. It’s also the biggest time commitment, generally requiring two years for completion. The CPCU consists of rigorous coursework, so new professionals should be diligent with their studies to achieve success.

Statistics published on

Education assistance

Insurance designations can be time consuming and costly, but your current employer can be your biggest resource.

“Argo has financial assistance, which covers the cost of courses and even provides for bonuses upon completion,” Michael says.

He suggests talking to your manager to see what’s available to you.

“Your manager can also suggest a certification they think is relevant to your role or suggest pathways for you.”

Where to get certified

There are four well-known providers of insurance education and designations within the U.S.:

  1. The Institutes – the leading provider of global risk management and P&C insurance education
  2. The National Alliance – a leader in transformative learning resources for risk and insurance professionals
  3. Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) – the primary source of professional liability educational programs and seminars, educational products and information regarding professional liability
  4. International Risk Management Institute (IRMI) – providing content, conferences, continuing education and certifications for over 40 years

Tips for getting certified

Quiz only available online

Default Title

Default Copy